The Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives (CCPA) is Canada’s leading progressive research institute, focusing on issues of social, economic and environmental justice. The CCPA’s BC Office is currently recruiting an Operations/Administrations and Financial Associate. Normally this position works from our office in downtown Vancouver and will return there in the future—however at this time, due to the pandemic, the work is primarily from home.
Closing date for applications: Monday, November 23, 2020 at 11:59 PM
Duration: Permanent Part-Time at 0.8 time (4 days/week)
Salary: The annual 0.8 time starting salary is $42,888 plus benefits. The CCPA-BC is a unionized workplace with a six-step grid, excellent holidays, a pension plan, and a generous benefits package that includes employer-paid extended health insurance.
The CCPA-BC is committed to inclusive hiring practices and encourages applications by candidates from diverse backgrounds.
Reporting to the Director of Operations & Finance, the role will be responsible for administering and coordinating various financial and development functions, including:
- Maintaining CCPA-BC’s operations, including liaising with suppliers, contractors, and building maintenance as required. Maintaining office supplies inventory;
- Answering/directing incoming calls and email inquiries, taking messages;
- Coordinating the day to day bookkeeping activities of the CCPA BC Office (including payables, invoicing and receipt of revenues) and liaising with the national bookkeeper.
- Assembling cash and cheque deposits, including secure transfer to bank, and secure storage between transfers;
- Payroll processing;
- Coding all income, invoices Visa receipts, and statements;
- Maintaining general ledgers and monthly financial statements tracking variances with budget;
- Processing donations, including data entry in the donor database;
- Ensuring data integrity and accuracy in our donor database;
- Support development staff and the management team by running database queries, such as donor recognition lists, invitation lists, mailing lists, etc. Assist with data analysis and monitoring of donation trends;
- Ensuring all organizational supporters are in good standing, assisting with funding letters and proposals;
- Supporting the organization of an annual fundraising gala and other events.
Qualifications and skills
- This position is suited to someone who enjoys administration and supporting an organization to run smoothly;
- Diploma or Certificate (or equivalent experience) in Office Administration, Bookkeeping or related field;
- Strong computer user who learns new software and skills quickly. We are seeking someone who has most of the following specific skills: Demonstrated ability to work effectively with complex spreadsheets; experience working with databases (experience with Nationbuilder and/or DonorPerfect is an asset but not required); at least some experience using accounting software.
- The successful candidate will have strong organizational and time management skills, and excellent attention to detail;
- A shared commitment of the CCPA’s purpose and values of social, economic and environmental justice;
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and contribute to a positive office culture;
- Experience working with a non-profit organization is desirable.
Submit a 1–2 page cover letter and resume (including references) as a single PDF document with your last name in the filename to: https://www.dropbox.com/request/hfIv2IUa68SUT8UBbUDZ
If you run into problems with the file upload or require additional clarification, please contact Mariwan Jaaf, Director of Operations and Finance, at [email protected] (no phone calls please).
Deadline for applications is Monday, November 23, 2020 at 11:59 PM.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates short-listed for an interview will be contacted.
About the CCPA-BC
The Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives is an independent, non-partisan research institute concerned with issues of social, economic and environmental justice. The BC Office is a leading voice in public policy debates in our province and focuses on a range of issues including poverty, inequality, climate justice, housing, and racial inequities. The CCPA is a non-profit charitable organization. Our largest source of revenue is individual donations.